Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a copy of my transcript if I have graduated or withdrawn from Prince William County Public Schools?

How do I set up a conference with my child's teacher?

  • We encourage parents to communicate with teachers in a variety of ways. All parents should use ParentVUE to monitor grades as well as Canvas to stay updated on instruction, assignments, and upcoming events in each of their child's classes.
  • If parents have questions about their child's progress, we ask that they email or call the teacher directly. Most issues and concerns are addressed in this manner. If after a period of ongoing phone or email contact the parents feel that a conference would be useful, they should contact their child's teacher to arrange a mutually convenient time to meet. There are no established conference days at the high school level.
  • In a few cases, parents may feel the need to meet with all of their child's teachers if there are more serious issues that need to be addressed such as excessive absenteeism, multiple course failures, chronic discipline problems, or long-term illness. In these situations, parents should contact their child's school counselor to determine if a meeting with all of the teachers would be helpful.

How do I know if my student is going to graduate?

  • Consult the Graduation Requirements. A student's graduation requirements are based on the year he/she first entered 9th grade. If you are still unsure of your student's status after reviewing the graduation requirements carefully, you should contact your student's school counselor directly. She/He will be able to consult your student's records and review with your student's current progress.

How do I know if my student will be retained or promoted?

  • A student must have a minimum of six credits to be a sophomore (grade 10), a minimum of 11 credits to be a junior (grade 11), and a minimum of 16 credits to be a senior (grade 12).

How do I know if my student will need to attend summer school?

  • First, have a conversation directly with the teacher(s) of the course in which your student is having difficulty. The teacher is best able to answer questions about what a student needs to do in class to achieve a passing grade, and any communication with the administration or the counseling center will ultimately lead back to your having a conversation with the teacher. After this, you will likely want to speak to the student's school counselor to discuss specifics from your student's records. In a general sense, if the course is required, and the student cannot take the course the following school year, summer school is a consideration if the student fails the course during the school year.

How do I request a transcript to be mailed?

  • The process for requesting such college application documents is described in the Naviance section of our website, but all transcripts need to be requested through Naviance.

I suspect my student has a learning disability. What do I do?

  • When a student is having difficulty, the first best resource is generally the classroom teacher, who can suggest strategies for aiding your student's performance. If no significant progress is observed following the implementation of these strategies, it is appropriate to conference with all of the student's teachers to discuss additional observations and methods of assistance. If there is no significant progress following this intervention, a parent/guardian can approach the student's classroom teacher or school counselor to request a referral to the Woodbridge High School Intervention Team.

What resources are available for my struggling student?

  • One of the best resources available to your child is his/her current classroom teacher. Staying after school with teachers for extra help is a critical component of getting back on track. Some students also choose to seek private tutoring outside of school at their own expense. There is a tutoring list available upon request.

Why can't my student double up on academic subjects?

  • Many courses have specific prerequisites that cannot be waived. If enrollment in "Level 3" of a course requires successful completion of "Level 2", a student cannot take both levels concurrently. Additionally, schools are governed by regulations and legal statutes regarding class size, so space availability must be considered.

Can I request that my student is placed with a certain teacher?

  • No. Such requests cannot be accommodated.

My student is a few credits short of earning an advanced diploma. Can s/he still apply for college?

  • Absolutely! Students are strongly encouraged to thoroughly research all options for post-secondary education and apply to attend the college(s) of their choice. Students and parents are encouraged to work closely with their school counselor throughout the process.